Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Flashback!!

I was weeding through some old posts on another blog and found this from July 19, 2006:

Yesterday we discovered a very cool thing: Letterboxing!!
And I'm not talking about watching movies in a widescreen format.
Letterboxing is a national and global "scavenger hunt" that costs nothing and anyone can participate. This is how it works:
  1. There are "letterboxes" hidden all over the U.S. and other countries (it started in the 19th century in Dartmoor, England)-over 22,000 in the U.S.
  2. You get clues on the internet (http://www.letterboxing.org) to help you find boxes.
  3. In each box is a rubber stamp, usually handcrafted and pertaining to the location or title of the box, that you use to stamp your journal with as proof that you did find the box.
  4. The box also has a logbook that you stamp with your own personal stamp, usually handcrafted to reflect something about yourself, to give the "placer" a record of who has been there.
  5. Each box is hidden but not buried on public property, hopefully in a scenic or interesting place.
  6. You are encouraged to "Leave No Trace" by replacing the box and leaving surrounding wildlife undisturbed.
  7. Some of the clues may require a little knowledge in navigation and using a compass, but many are very simple.

We just learned about this yesterday and we went on our first outing today and found three boxes in our area! I am already totally addicted and M is close behind me. What a great, fun way to teach history/geography/map skills/ navigation/etc all at once!
I can't wait to go out again!

How funny! Notice that I hadn't discovered AQ yet. And there is probably at least twice the amount of boxes in the US than what I wrote. It's fun to see my perspective as a "newbie". A few things remain unchanged: I'm still addicted, M is close behind me, and I can't wait to go out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback means a lot!