Monday, February 11, 2008

My Mews

Very seldom do I ever work alone. I have a 9 and a 5 year old that can't seem to go more than 2 1/2 minutes without an urgent need to know why rats don't have hair on their tails or requiring someone to fix the pencil sharpener again. But that comes with the territory and in order to save your sanity, you quickly learn to ignore it until it reaches a certain decibel level or there is blood involved. You also learn to allow the creativity to flow in spite of being surrounded by plastic sharks from the bathtub, broken strings of Mardi Gras beads that need your magic fixing, and the stickers from the bank and doctor's office that now adorn your work chair.





On the rare, blessed occasions when the littles are both absent at the same time, I can enjoy a quiet, uninteruppted carving session. I don't have to answer the same question six times in a row or tell anyone to stop shaking the table. There are no Goldfish on the craft table either.

Through all of this, the quiet and the not-so-quiet, I have two other constant companions. My children think that Caper and Moppett are their cats, but they haven't noticed yet that both cats follow Mom all over the house-however nonchalantly, and settle wherever I happen to be at. Both of them take turns holding down my important papers and sunning themselves under my lamp. Moppett sits so close as to get pieces of PZ Kut on her fur. If I have lap space available, even for a minute, one of them is there.
They are calming and inspiring at the same time. And that is pretty much the definition of a Muse.

4 comments:

  1. Very sweet! I posted some pics of my cat a week or so ago, along with musings I titled "Lessons from the Cat." I was always a dog person - never thought I would, or could, ever love a cat, but I was outvoted by my family when it came time to aquire a pet, and Smudge has proved me wrong. :-) I enjoyed your post and pictures!
    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am sitting at my computer desk, which also doubles as my carving desk, my cat Jedi always wants to be on my lap. And my other cat, Anakin, loves laying on papers.

    I didn't see much of Caper, but Moppett is the softest cat I have ever petted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caper is almost as soft, but not quite. They are littermates even though they don't look it.
    The combination of Moppett's softness and the color pattern in her fur makes her look like she always has a really bad case of bed hair. ;)
    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb blog much more complete and practical. It will take me months to "catch up" with my delay.
    A big thank-you.

    Voyance discount

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback means a lot!