Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Bad Year



Prairie Dog, Questar and I went letterboxing up in Northfield yesterday. It was a fantastic day and we found all of the boxes in Atomic Beans' winter series, A Bad Year. It's a fun, clever series and we were particularly intrigued with the containers. The stamps were fun and I loved how all of them could be stamped with black ink. These boxes will be out until April 3rd, so if you get a chance, I would highly recommend that you look for them.

It would have been a great day even without the boxes. The weather was gorgeous and (according to the man pushing his daughter in the stroller) we saw lots of "naturey things". You have to love it when noxers come up with your cover story for you. What did we see?
  • Deer. Staring at us. Not afraid. Making snide comments under their breath as we stamped in. Very unnerving.
  • Birds. Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadee, and something that said "Ow" when it sang.
  • Fungus. Because of our friend, FungusWoman, we notice fungus everywhere. Even 50 feet up in a tree. Don't have a clue what kinds they are, but we notice them.
  • Moss. Until M decided she wanted to make a moss garden (a project in one of those big books of things to do), I had never paid attention to moss. Yesterday I couldn't get away from it. Perhaps because everything else is still dormant and brown, the moss seemed to glow in the sunlight. I never imagined that there could be so many textures and patterns to moss. Of course I brought some home for her.*
  • Cyclists. Blurring past. Oblivious to the beauty around them. I ask you, why do you need special shoes to ride a bike?
  • Mud. It could have been worse. Yee-ha!

It was a very satisfying day.

 *I realize this violates the Leave No Trace policy, so you can yell at me if you like. However, I can guarantee that none of the moss I took had a conservation status that was threatened in any way and I'm pretty sure that before spring is out, it will all have grown back.