Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Inordinate Fondness


"The Creator, if he exists, has an inordinate fondness for beetles."`JBS Haldane*


And just for scale:
I really need a camera with a macro lens. 
I have not the first clue as to what these are, but the I-can't-help-myself part of me wants to find out. They'll probably turn out to be something hideous and itchy. Shall we?**

*Please do not mistaken my quoting Haldane as agreement with him in general, or even in part. I just think the quote is funny.

**Further research has revealed that these are eggs from the Spined Soldier Bug, one of the True Bugs (as opposed to an insect mistakenly called a bug). They are predatory stink bugs. I am going to put them back outside so they can help eat the Japanese Beetles that are turning my Porcelain Vine into lace.