Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Norwegian Hardanger Embroidery

If you ever take a class on how to write a letter or an essay, one of the things that they will likely teach you is never to begin your piece by saying you're sorry. However since this is the second time that I am going to bore you with the intricate details of a fading art, I feel the need to apologize up front. I am including pictures, but that should only dull the pain slightly.

Norwegian Hardanger Embroidery, as discussed here, is yet another hobby of mine which includes the use of sharp, pointy objects. The above bookmark is one of my own designs, done in ivory (in spite of looking lavender in the picture), and will be part of an off line order that I received last week. I'm telling you all of this as an explanation for why I am not hard at work carving one of the remaining Rainbow Pixies. In truth, I'm a little tired of fairies at the moment and glad for the break.

This lavender doily was a lot of fun to work, even though I really don't like the metallic threads. I framed it and gave it my Grandmother for Christmas. The stitching took a little more than 22 hours.
On my little shopping spree in Minnetonka, I purchased a number of varigated fibers, and Oh, are they fun! One of the things that appeals to me about Hardanger over Cross Stitch (which I don't know how to do) is that you aren't constantly having to change your thread color. The varigated fibers allow you some interest without that tediousness.

This is an ornament design that I played with before the holidays. Unfortunately, I didn't get it done in time to find out if it would sell or not. I'll probably make a number of them for next year though. They'll make nice gifts if they don't sell. I also have a big Poinsettia doily that I didn't quite finish. Ah, well. There is always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback means a lot!