Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Abundance of Things

For the second time in a year, I find myself coming alongside family to help sort through a loved ones possessions. In the first case, my Grandmother was gone from us, and a sense of grief and loss pervaded the process. This time, DH's 95 yo Grandmother, unable to continue living on her own, has elected to move into a care facility.
Both unique and incredible women, I count it a privilege to assist in these tasks, and cherish the opportunity to reflect on their lives.

While the circumstances behind each event are different, both have set in motion prolonged periods of introspection and evaluation for me. Not always a bad thing.


"...a man's life does not consist in the abundance of things which he possesses". However, I believe that the things that one possesses in abundance tell a great deal about you. 
What do I possess in abundance? And why?
If my parents, children, in-laws, etc were to have to sort through the items in my basement and attic tomorrow, other than quickly developing a keen sense of resentment, what would they learn about me? What would the distillation of my earthly possessions tell them about my values? What would they see was important to me?
....
200+ canning jars that I haven't used in 5 years.
....
A basement full of bunnies.
....
Miles and miles of string in every conceivable color.
....
Baby teeth in my jewelry box. (Oh, why are there teeth in my jewelry box?)
....
Oh, boy. I think I'm going to go declutter something.