Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cinema and String

With so much handwork to complete before the holidays, I brought home a handful of DVDs from the library this week. Now I can watch and stitch at the same time, hopefully without too many mistakes.

The project:

Two more "Heart o'Daisies" by Jon Yusef. This time, I did them without the chain around the outside, because I have an idea in mind for a gift. The chain would make them too big. More on that later.
This pattern came with instructions for making these with split rings, allowing you to continue from one daisy to the next without having to cut and start again. That's always good in my book. I haven't quite mastered hiding thread ends yet, and the less I have to do it, the better.
I used Yarnplayer's HDT "Lava" in a size 20. I continue to be impressed with this thread, both with the vibrant colors and the smoothness with which it works.

The movie: Avatar. I decided I needed to find out what all the fuss was about.
The recipe for this film: 1 part Matrix, 1 part Tron, 2 parts pixie dust and a dash of Norse mythology. Place in Cuisinart and hit Frappe. The end result is a glorified cartoon (I don't care how "visually stunning" the reviews said it was) that paints our military in a very unfavorable light. I'm so very glad I didn't pay money to see it.