Monday, October 5, 2009

Bookplates

We are continuing our ride in the Way Back Machine today; this time to take a quick look at a couple of personal library stamps that I carved for my two brothers and my niece. I apologize for the quality (or lack thereof) of the images. Since these stamps are not in my possession anymore, I can't do any better.

The image in the center is the Master's Seminary logo, where Paul graduated from several years ago.
Eric just asked for a Celtic knot design. I'd really like to redo all three of these since my ability has improved drastically since then. But we can't recarve all of them, can we?
This last stamp was commissioned by a friend of Eric's and he asked for the Egyptian Ankh symbol, although I'm not really sure why.

Curiously, although we are constantly tripping over piles of books here in our house and the shelves are stacked every which way, I have never carved a book plate for myself. I really should, since I have lost track of all of the books that I have loaned out and then promptly forgotten where they went. With the gazillions of books in the world, I figure that there are only a few that I would take the time to read more than once. However, I think my bookplate would probably read "This book stolen from the library of..."
Books I would read more than once? Watership Down, Count of Monte Cristo, Les Miserables, anything by Robert Frost or Rudyard Kipling, and several theological tomes. Holy Scripture might seem obviously missing, but in my mind, it doesn't even belong in the same list with secular literature.

4 comments:

  1. I love them! I made a bookplate for Eli - a dragon, with Ex Libris and his name. I have an entire book of Art Nouveau bookplates (Dover publication) and I just drool over them - I can't decide which one I should start with..... so my books are "plateless" too ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once upon a time, someone was going to do an LTC swap of bookplates...I keep waiting for that certain someone... :-)

    Those 'plates are wonderful. I was commissioned to design one for a fellow letterboxer and had every intention of designing one for myself, but never quite got around to it. Isn't that how it goes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that someone was I, Master D'bu. I'm still going to do this! I keep my word . . . just takes me a long time.

    Oh, I loved seeing that someone else read Les Miserables . . . it is so looong, but so worth the time to read it. That and the Pilgrim's Progress are my favorites.

    Keep carving those bookplates -- they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “I was looking for this information in search engines and thank god I got this information here. Thanks a lot”.
    voyance gratuite email

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback means a lot!