Saturday, October 24, 2009

Delicata

There is a certain decadent pleasure in enjoying something for which no one else in the household cares. There is no guilt in stashing very dark chocolate when you know that no one wants to share it with you anyway.
The same holds true for my love affair with Delicata Squash. I don't ever have to worry about going to the fridge and finding the squash inexplicably missing. And even when the cooking aromas from the skillet are making my mouth water, there is never anyone else hovering over my shoulder and pestering me about when it will be done.
While Delicatas can be obtained year round, there is nothing like getting it fresh and in season. And it is beautiful too.

Here is my favorite recipe:
1 small Delicata squash
1 1/2 T butter
1/2 t. sage
1/4 t. rosemary
1/2 c water
3/4 c apple cider
1 T. red wine
salt and pepper to taste, optional (I omit these)

Peel, halve, seed and cube squash (I didn't peel mine for the photo). Melt butter in skillet and add seasonings. Add squash and liquid to skillet. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes, or until squash is tender and liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds lovely...but does it taste like squash? I may another who is not posing a threat to your Delicata...lol! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a lot like a local squash called "cushaw." I wonder how similar the tastes are. Two forks, please. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm! We tried a Delicata squash for the first time with dinner tonight. All we did was our our normal squash routine - cut it in half, scooped out seeds, then baked in the oven with a pat of butter in the middle. Seasoned w/salt when eating. DELICIOUS!

    We also have a Carnival squash we will be trying later this week.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback means a lot!