Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Whale of a Postal


If ever there was a stamp with a tale to tell, it would be this one.
I was still learning to carve (and still am) and had begun experimenting with ways to create the visual image of texture with the rubber. It was mildly successful, and I was pleased with the results. The Humpback was carved for a postal and I was taken by surprise when it was hard to let it go when the ring started. Emotional attachment to a piece of rubber wasn't something I had expected.
Over the next 2 1/2 years it traveled. It visited more than 60 people in three separate rings. It spent countless weeks in a "black hole" on more than one occasion. That includes the time it slipped down behind someone's couch cushions and was presumed dead. Toward the end, I gave up trying to keep track of it. I retired the stamp and forgot about it.
And then one day it surfaced in my mailbox. Just like that. In perfect condition and with a full logbook. Talk about a happy dance!

3 comments:

  1. ah yes...the life of a plber! lol!

    Glad it came home safely, my friend. It's awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the one you sent us when we first began letterboxing -- one of a handful who responded to our newbie request. Thanks, again. We were and are impressed!

    My little nautical memento hangs from my sig stamp pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to learn a lot of interesting things. I hope to learn more. I congratulate you on these wonderful

    vrai voyance gratuite par mail

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback means a lot!